James Warnock, Ph.D.
Professor and School Chair
School of Chemical, Materials, and Biomedical Engineering
Founding Chair, School of Chemical, Materials and Biomedical Engineering
James N. Warnock joined the faculty of the University of Georgia College of Engineering in 2017 as the founding chair for the new School of Chemical, Materials and Biomedical Engineering.
Before coming to Athens, Warnock served as a professor and associate dean for academic affairs at Mississippi State University’s Bagley College of Engineering.
He is an active researcher in novel therapeutic strategies to treat cardiovascular disease. He’s also earned international attention for his work in advancing the field of engineering education. Warnock serves as adjunct director of training and instruction for ABET, the engineering college accreditation board. In this role he supports the planning, production and execution of the organization’s professional-development programming and directs all activities related to educational offerings and workshop-facilitator training.
“In my engineering education research I’ve studied ways that we can improve engineering curricula to better prepare graduates for engineering practice,” he said. “Specifically, I have looked at how students develop professional skills, such as teamwork, communication, intercultural competence, self-directed learning and innovative thinking.”
Warnock earned a bachelor’s degree in biological science from the University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom. He earned a master’s in biochemical engineering and a doctorate in chemical engineering from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, before completing a two-year postdoctoral fellowship at the Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Interim School Chair - School of Environmental, Civil, Agricultural & Mechanical Engineering, The University of Georgia, 2021 – Present
- Professor and School Chair - School of Chemical, Materials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Georgia College of Engineering, 2017 – Present
- Professor, Mississippi State University, 2015 – Jul 2017
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Mississippi State University, 2014 – Jul 2017
- Associate Professor, Mississippi State University, 2010 – Jun 2015
- Interim Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, Mississippi State University, 2013 – Nov 2014
- Assistant Professor, Mississippi State University, 2005 – Aug 2010
Other Professional Experience
- Adjunct Director, Training and Instruction, ABET Inc., 2011 – Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2003 – Dec 2004