Research and Extension Experience for Undergraduates
Modern Tools and Technologies for Food & Agriculture Production
The program provides opportunities for research and outreach activities for undergraduate students in the area of innovative and modern technologies for agricultural production, food safety and security, in addition to providing opportunities for professional skills development in communication, and ethics.
• Participants perform research/outreach projects with graduate students under the mentorship of a professor.
• Participate in seminars, workshops, career counseling and professional development opportunities in STEM.
• Participants are matched with the professors based on student interests and faculty research projects.
Program Site and City Information
The program site is the University of Georgia, in Athens, which is located 75 miles northeast of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Athens is a vibrant college town, known for its music and culture, as well as its warm, summer weather.
Click on project titles for details (PDF)
Rapid Detection Technologies and Biosensors for Food Pathogen Detection
Dr. Ramaraja Ramasamy
Development of Cellulose Based Coatings for Corrosion and Microbial Resistance
Dr. Ramaraja Ramasamy
Build a sensor web for monitoring poultry house
Dr. Wenzhan Song
Augmented Reality Visualization of Point Cloud Datasets
Dr. Kyle Johnsen
Development of antimicrobial treatments to inhibit mold growth in foods
Dr. Francisco Diez-Gonzalez
Pandemic Contingency Disclosure
As of this announcement date, the University of Georgia has plans to keep the campus open for summer research and will follow recommendations and advice of CDC and GA DPH. If a decision was made to close the campus for in-person research, the program may be converted into a virtual program or get cancelled.
Full Application Due: April 15, 2022
► See details below
Notification Date: April 30, 2022
Program Dates: June 1, 2022 – July 21,2022
Logistics and Financial Support
- Stipend: $3000 total for the full program period
- Housing : $500 total (for external participants only)
- Travel : $500 total (for external participants only)
- Sophomore or Junior in 4-year STEM program
- Cumulative GPA > 3.0
- U.S. Citizen/National or U.S. Permanent Resident
Full application (Due April 15, 2022)
The FULL APPLICATION can be found here. Full applications are due by April 15, 2022 and must include the following:
- Completed web application (link above)
- Transcript of STEM major (web upload)
- Recent CV/resume (web upload)
- One - two recommendation letters (web upload)
- Statement of interest 400-500 words (web upload)
Questions? please email: email@example.com