Awards within Reach
The UGA College of Engineering Proposal Resubmission Grants Program
Research Proposal Resubmission Grants - Announcement for 2016
The College of Engineering and the Office of the Vice President for Research announce the availability of funding to aid investigators who
- Have had external research proposals narrowly miss falling within a fundable range, which were rejected for lack of sufficient specific preliminary data or a specific identified weakness,
- Have communicated with or visited funding agency program directors soon after learning the disposition of proposals to confirm this assessment, and
- Will work closely with the OVPR’s Office of Proposal Enhancement (OPE) on preparation and review of their resubmission.
Small grants will be provided to help an investigator strategically improve the proposal’s viability upon resubmission. Funding availability is limited.
We anticipate funding grants in the range of $2,000 to $10,000. The College of Engineering will contribute 60% and OVPR 40% of the final total budget. Funding will normally be for just one year, as this program is being funded on a year-to-year trial basis while its effectiveness is being assessed.
Application Format and Requirements
- 12 point font, 1 inch margins
- 1 page - cover/signature page containing proposal title, investigator names and affiliations, investigator email and other contact information, total budget (showing college contribution), signatures of the investigator(s) and Associate Dean for Research.
- 2 pages – description of proposed research and a clear articulation of how it will address the rejected proposal’s shortcomings. Include a description of how the money will be spent, and a timeline for resubmission with explicit dates for engagement of OPE in proposal drafting, review, and anticipated proposal resubmission.
- There should also be a sentence identifying the potential expert external or internal reviewer or advisor. If the request is funded, the PI will be expected to send the revised proposal to an expert reviewer for comments prior to resubmission. Funds of up to $500 may be included in the budget as honoraria for the proposed advisor/reviewer.
- 1 page – detailed budget page showing projected expenses and college contribution. Proposal budgets that are split across two fiscal years must indicate the amount requested in each of the fiscal years.
- 1 page – Cover page from the initial rejected proposal submission.
- 1 page – Project Summary or Abstract from the initial rejected submission.
- Multiple pages - A copy of the panel summary and any reviews, from the rejected proposal, which indicate the need for additional preliminary data, or highlight a weakness which could be addressed with some additional funds.
- Multiple Pages – A copy of correspondence showing communication with the program director re the proposal’s disposition within one month after proposal rejection notification.
The required pages should be assembled into a single PDF file then submitted to the College of Engineering Research Office at email@example.com.
The proposals will be reviewed by the College of Engineering Office of Research and by staff from the Office of the Vice President for Research. Other individuals may be consulted as needed.
Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis with no specific deadline. Investigators may submit at any time, and the proposals will be reviewed as quickly as the staff involved can process them.
Six-month report – Six months after funding a one- to two-page progress report should be submitted, including results to date and proposal resubmission plans. Also include the name of the external advisor or reviewer and any comments or suggestions he/she provided. State the UGA proposal ID number for a proposal that has been resubmitted to the external funding agency.
One-year or final report – One year after funding a progress report not to exceed one page should be submitted, including results to date and proposal submission plans or sponsor results/reviews, if known. State the UGA proposal ID number for a proposal that has been resubmitted to the external funding agency. If the final outcome from proposal resubmission is reported, this is the final report.
Two-year/final report – If the final report was not yet submitted, two years after funding a final report not to exceed one page should be submitted including the fate of the resubmitted proposal and any additional results not shared at the one-year report date. State the UGA proposal ID number for a proposal that has been resubmitted to the external funding agency.
Any publication resulting from funding or partial funding by this program should acknowledge that funding was received from the College of Engineering and the Vice President for Research:
“This research was supported in part by a grant jointly funded by the University of Georgia College of Engineering and the Office of the Vice President for Research.”