The College of Engineering Student Ambassadors are student representatives who act on behalf of the College to enhance awareness of the College of Engineering within the University community and with clienteles throughout the state. Engineering Ambassadors assist with College and University-sponsored events and speak on topics related to engineering academic programs and student opportunities available at the University. Events include, but are not limited to, College recognition ceremonies, summer orientation sessions, alumni events, and campus visits with prospective students.
Service as a student ambassador offers students the opportunity to develop and enhance the leadership qualities necessary for their future professional careers. Engineering Ambassadors serve as the primary student representatives of the College of Engineering. Ambassadors also represent the College of Engineering and the University of Georgia in appearance, communication, and decorum. Ambassadors are selected through an interview process that examines applicants’ academic records, background and leadership experience, interpersonal abilities, and ambitions.
Selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Benefits of Serving as a Student Ambassador
Professional Development: Student Ambassadors interact with a diverse range of audiences, including administrators, industry leaders, educators, parents, prospective students, and faculty. You will refine your professional image, communication skills and etiquette. Professional development activities, such as resume critiques and etiquette seminars, are included into the ambassador program
► Leadership Experience: The Student Ambassadors program offers an opportunity to improve student life within the College and to actively engage with faculty and peers to make long-lasting, meaningful impacts.
► Networking Opportunities: Student Ambassadors have increased opportunities to build relationships with fellow Ambassadors, College of Engineering alumni, faculty, industry leaders, staff, and guests of the University of Georgia.
Past Student Ambassador Events
- A meeting with Mr. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford Motor Company
- Facilitating tours of Driftmier Engineering Center for the search process for administrators and faculty
- Attending a reception with Provost Pamela Whitten and the Dean of the College of Engineering
- Meeting new and prospective faculty members to give tours and answer questions
- Speaking with high school students about personal UGA experiences at the Frasier STEM
- Conference, hosted by the Office of STEM Education
- Meeting with Mr. Russ Fortson, an Engineering graduate now working for NASA
- Must be either intended or accepted in an engineering degree program and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0*
- Must be classified as a full-time student (co-op rotations, study abroad, and internships during the year are acceptable)
- Must be enrolled in the College of Engineering at least one full semester prior to the application period
- Must have a minimum of two semesters remaining prior to graduation at the beginning of fall semester 2020
*Students with a GPA below a 3.0 may be considered
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings and engage in committee assignments. Meeting dates and times are determined by the group at the beginning of each semester to accommodate all members’ schedules.
- Assist with College events and tours of the College and fulfill specified amount of volunteer hours (tours, meetings, College events, etc.)
- Commit to making a long-lasting impact on the College and student life within the College
- Completed application form
- One letter of recommendation (from a faculty/staff member)
- OPTIONAL (one letter from a peer)
- Resume or supplemental application pages
- Two Application Essays (500 words each)