Capstone Information for Students
Senior Design Timeline
2020 Capstone Senior Design Deadlines
Budget proposal for project funding due January 17, 2020
Additional funding instructions, forms, and details can be found here.
- Contact Dr. Roger Hilten for any funding- related questions and concerns.
Project Description, Abstract and Award Category: Due 4/7/20 at 3pm
- Submit via email to Michael Wooten at email@example.com with subject line “Capstone Design Project Description and Abstract”+ project title, firstname.lastname@example.org must be copied on this submission. Please submit all items together in 1 email.
- Project Description: Should include final project title, sponsor team member names, & faculty mentor names. Project Description should be 1- 3 sentences (approximately 50 words). Basic project info (title, team members, etc.) is not included in the word count.
- Project Abstract: Abstracts should be no longer than one page. Teams can submit images and figures to accompany the abstract. However, all content must fit on 1 page. Abstracts will be used in the showcase judging process
- Abstract Template (1 page limit)
- **Please make sure to check for spelling, grammar mistakes. This information will be used externally on the showcase website.**
- Award Category: In your submission email, please indicate which award category your project will be competing in. Only one category can be selected. Award categories are:
- Community Impact
- Computerized System or Software Design
- Machine Design
- Manufactured System or Process Design
- Medical Device or Biological Process Design
- Sustainable Design
Poster/Slide and Project Video: Due 4/22/20 at 12pm
- Submit via email to Michael Wooten at email@example.com with subject line “Capstone Design Poster and Video” + project title, firstname.lastname@example.org must be copied on this submission. Please submit both items together in 1 email.
- Poster/ Slide: must be formatted to reflect approved templates
- Project Video: Teams should submit a narrated video presentation to summarize the goals and work on their project. Videos should be 3- 5 minutes in length
- All videos should be uploaded to YouTube and video link should be submitted via email as instructed above.
- YouTube Videos should be unlisted and comments should be disabled
- Video content should receive approval for online display from project sponsor and mentor prior to submission. Student teams should be very aware of issues related to proprietary information and their sponsor’s limitations on the type of information that can be shared publically.
- There is no specific format required for the video and student teams are encouraged to think creatively about how to best showcase their project and design and/or prototype. However, all videos should include a visual representation of their design. That can be shown via slides, design documents, prototype demonstration, etc.
- Questions? Email email@example.com
Capstone Senior Design students will be assigned to a project and project team early during the fall semester. Project assignments are based on:
- Project needs and preferences of project sponsors
- Faculty recommendations and assessment of student skills
- Student interests and project rankings
Although the College of Engineering strives to match students to projects they are most interested in, there is no guarantee that a student can be assigned to a particular project or project group.
Current Capstone Senior Design students must rank their project preferences by completing the online 2018-2019 Senior Design Project survey. Surveys must be submitted by Wednesday, August 22 by 11:59 p.m.