Jaime Camelio, Ph.D.
Integrates learning, research, innovation, entrepreneurship
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2002
M.S., Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 2002
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Universidad Católica de Chile, 1996
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Universidad Católica de Chile, 1994
- Associate Dean for Research, Inovation, and Entrepreneurship, University of Georgia, 2020 - present
- Director of Strategic Industry and State Partnerships - Advanced Manufacturing Initiatives, Virginia Tech, 2019 -2020
- Rolls-Royce Commonwealth Professor of Advanced Manufacturing, Virginia Tech, 2015 - 2020
- Associate Professor, Virginia Tech, 2011 - 2015
- Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech, 2008 - 2011
- Visiting Professor, Universidad de los Andes, ESE Business School, 2009 - 2016
- Assistant Professor, Michigan Technological University, 2005 - 2008
Other Professional Experience
- Co-Founder, Engagn, LLC, 2010-2012
- Intelligent manufacturing systems - design, modeling, analysis, and control of complex systems
- Cyber physical security for manufacturing systems – vulnerability mapping, mitigation technologies.
- Data mining and statistical learning applications for manufacturing processes and systems, process monitoring, diagnosis, prognosis, and control.
Publications and Scholarly Articles
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Rolls-Royce Commonwealth Professor for Advanced Manufacturing
- Virginia Tech Faculty Fellow, 2013 – 2015
- 2017 College Award for Outreach Excellence, College of Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2013 Virginia Tech Illuminator Award – This award is presented to one faculty member who has outstanding abilities, innovative ideas to fuel the future, well-honed leadership skills, and a commitment to service that makes a difference.
- 2013 Virginia Tech Student Engineering Council (SEC) Undergraduate Research Advisor Award
- 2012 Executive Development Institute Scholar, Virginia Tech
- 2010 Outstanding Assistant Professor, College of Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2007 Society of Manufacturing Engineering - Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award
- 2001 Best Paper Award from the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (This award was granted to a single paper selected among 64 papers in the area of design for manufacturing presented during the 2001 ASME Design Technical Engineering Conferences in Pittsburgh, PA).
- Chilean Government Scholarship, May 1998.
- Best Student in Mechanical Engineering Award, Colegio de Ingenieros de Chile, January 1996.